Australian School of Tourism and Hotel Management
Studying in Australia


 studying in australia
 living in perth
 find your course
 general information
 application & admissions
 online enquiry
 fee schedule
 education agents










enrol today - call us on +61 8 9322 3202
Click here to view and download all sort of useful documents.
Can't get a degree where you are studying?
Call us today
Promoting life long learning and delivering lifestyle through education
All text books quick and easy from the UWA Co-op Bookshop [more]
Cookery Student
By wearing your uniform you always present yourself like a professional and that's what employers are looking for: Professional staff!
Train with highly qualified lecturers who are specialists in the hospitality and tourism industry
Check our FAQs for more information or give us a call on 9322 3202
Download our brochure here

Degree Brochure
All text books quick and easy from the UWA Co-op Bookshop [more]
Train with highly qualified lecturers who are specialists in the hospitality and tourism industry
enrol today - call us on +61 8 9322 3202
Promoting life long learning and delivering lifestyle through education
how to use this site, glossary of terms and other useful tips [more]

Open Day
Saturday 28th June 2008

New Intake
Next courses commences
21st July 2008

Information for International Students

The Australian School of Tourism and Hotel Management offers all of its international students comprehensive Information to assist you in preparing for your travels to Australia, and once you have arrived, with ensuring that you have a basic understanding of each of the issues that affect international students either prior to commencing their studies, during their studies or after having completed their studies with us.

There are many up to date sources of information to assist you in preparing you for your travels to Australia, these include;
- Information on accommodation costs -
- Living in Perth -


Tuition Fees
International students living overseas must pay their first semester fees well before departure so they will have enough time to obtain visas. You should be aware of the cost of studying and living in Australia and organise adequate financial resources before leaving your home country.

You will require a valid passport to travel to Australia and this may be obtained at your Government’s consulate or embassy. The issue of a passport can take up to 2-3 months in some countries so make sure you apply well in advance of your course commencement date. Your student visa cannot be issued until you have a valid passport.

You will need to carry with you approximately $500 to cover expenses in Australia for the first few days. You should also arrange to bring other funds in Australian Dollars either in the form of a bank draft or by electronic funds transfer. It is safer to transfer funds electronically when depositing large sums of money into bank accounts. You will be given further information about the Australian banking system at Orientation.

Medical History
It is important to know your own health history. Prior to departure, ask your family doctor exactly what immunisations or medications you have been given in the past. It is also a good idea to bring this information in writing in case of illness while in Australia.

Electrical Goods
Electrical goods in Australia operate on 240V. Check that any electrical items that you bring e.g. hairdryers, walkmans, ricecookers, can be adapted.


Customs Information
Australia has very strict Customs regulations to prevent drugs, diseases and pests being brought into the country. On the plane you will be given a Customs Declaration Form to complete. You should declare any goods you are not sure about and any articles in excess of your duty free allowance. Making a false declaration is a serious offence and may result in heavy fines or the seizure of goods. Please note when packing for your trip that certain food, plant and animal products are prohibited imports. Remember that almost every kind of food product is available in W.A. so you will be able to find ingredients here for your favourite dishes!

Conditions of Student Visa
Listed below are some of the conditions of the Student Visa you will need to abide by:-

• Students must be enrolled on a full time course and make satisfactory course progress for each study period.
• Students must maintain regular attendance to ensure satisfactory academic progress is achieved.
• Students must remain with the education provider with which you originally enrolled for the first 6 months of the course.
• Students must maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance during their stay in Australia.
• Students who are under 18 years of age must maintain accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements that are approved by the education provider.
• Students must notify their education provider of  their residential address in Australia within 7 days of arriving in Australia as well as any further changes that occur during their period of enrolment.
• Students must maintain enough money to pay for travel, tuition and living expenses for the duration of their stay in Australia.
• All student visas have the “no work” condition applied. Students will be able to apply “on line” for their work visa after course commencement. A charge of $60.00 is required to make application to work.

Dependants of international students can stay with you, while studying in Australia, if their names are included on your student visa application. Dependants who are not included in your student visa application and who would like to come to Australia later, need to apply separately for visas. Their type of visa will be the same as a student visa and will have similar conditions to those outlined above.

Dependants of ASTHM international students can attend a government or non-government school. Annual fees range from $4,000 for primary education to $15,000 for secondary education.


About Perth, Western Australia

Western Australia is Australia’s largest state - Perth is the capital city. One of the world’s most beautiful cities, it is also a thriving business centre and is at the forefront of the country’s trade push into Asia.Situated on the banks of the Swan River, the city is clean and modern and is just a few kilometres away from its world renowned beaches. For outdoors types, Perth is paradise. Long walks, picnics in the park, golf, sailing, surfing, water skiing - the choice is yours! There is plenty to see and do with numerous art galleries, cinemas, shops and markets. Perth nightlife also offers an exciting variety of sidewalk cafes, restaurants, music venues and nightclubs. ASTHM is centrally situated in the heart of the city - close to the central bus and train stations and just a 5 minute walk to city shops.

Climate and Clothing
Perth enjoys a mild Mediterranean climate, with warm dry summers and cool, rainy winters. There are four distinct seasons, Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. You will need to bring different types of clothing for the year.

Light cotton clothing. You will also need to protect yourself against the sun by wearing sunscreen and a hat. Autumn/Winter: Warm clothing such as woollen sweaters and a raincoat and/or overcoat. Warmer clothing may be more readily available. In Australia than your own country. Students on campus wear the ASTHM uniform which is detailed in the School Brochure.

Cultural adjustment
Moving from one country to another often results in a sense of dislocation, however most students find that, having made the adjustment, what felt like a burden has become a bonus in terms of enrichment of life experience.

When the cultures of two countries are very different the change of situation can be something of a “culture shock” - a sense of loss of the familiar and loved environment of home and the support network it provided. The things that were once familiar such as language, food, climate and people’s behaviour can be very different in your new country.

Adjusting to a new environment can be frustrating at first, however most students find that after they have made the adjustment, the differences that were difficult initially have become the most important aspects of their new life in Australia.

Staff at ASTHM understand the difficulties international students can have trying to study and adapt to a new country and our International Office staff are available to help you throughout the year.


One problem often faced by students new to Australia is the use of slang. Slang is used by many Australians in their every day conversation and can seem like a completely new language. Here are some common examples:-

G’Day - Good Day/Hello
See ya later - Goodbye
Mate - Friend
Good on ya! - Well Done!

Arriving in Perth
The ASTHM International Office arrange the reception of all new international students. New students must notify ASTHM of their date, time of arrival and flight details to ensure they are met upon arrival - look for the “Australian School of Tourism and Hotel Management” sign. You will be then transported to your accommodation. The fee for an airport transfer is $90.00 You will be also provided with details on how to make your way to ASTHM to attend your Orientation.

Arrival at ASTHM
Your first point of contact at ASTHM will be a member of staff from the International Office. This person will continue to provide you with support during your studies. There is also a special student support system made up of senior international students who have volunteered to help you settle in. They understand your immediate needs and will help you settle in to Australia.

Held on the Friday before commencement, attendance at which is compulsory. Upon arrival you will receive a "Welcome Pack" which contains information about Perth and ASTHM. The Orientation programme includes:-
• A formal welcome by the ASTHM Managing Director
• A tour of the school and its facilities
• Morning tea during which you will be introduced to ASTHM staff and your new classmates
• Details about what is expected of you as an ASTHM student, and the rules and regulations by which you must abide.
• The issue of your Student ID card, a Transperth Pass which entitles you to discounted public transport and your class timetable for the Semester.
• The issue of your ASTHM uniform
• A "sausage sizzle" barbeque prepared by our current students to say "Welcome to ASTHM"


Counselling and Pastoral Care
This is a confidential, professional and free service for students. Counselling focuses on student needs to maximise their tertiary educational experience. Counselling assists students to solve problems, develop new skills in personal and educational contexts and resolve developmental issues. Counselling can assist with interpersonal relationships and family and social problems, where these impinge on the person's educational effectiveness.

Information and help is available for such matters as emotional aspects of learning, including anxiety, writing blocks, difficulty with concentration and procrastination; dealing with work/study/relationship conflicts; identifying and using one's own best learning style; course concerns such as special consideration, deferment and appeals; personal problems; trauma debriefing.

The International Office will help you with banking soon after arrival. ASTHM is convenient to all major banks and you will be able to open an account and deposit a bank draft if you have brought one from home.

It is best to set up a bank account during the first few days of arrival - you will need proof of identification (your passport) and at least one other type of identification with you. You will also need to give your Tax File No. (TFN) to the bank to gain exemption from the very high tax rate imposed on interest bearing accounts. A savings account is very popular with students. An access card, which operates the 24 hour automatic teller machines (ATM) is useful for deposits and withdrawals when the banks are closed.

Living in Perth

“Where am I going to live?” This is one of the first questions an international student may have. If requested the ASTHM International Office will arrange temporary accommodation for you which may be either:-

• Homestay
• Hostel (off campus)

If you require temporary accommodation you must advise the International Office at least 4 weeks prior to arrival and identify the type of accommodation required.


We highly recommend this type of accommodation which enables you to live with an Australian family in their home. This provides a wonderful opportunity to experience Australian family life and culture as well as to further develop English language skills.

If this is your first time living away from home, "Homestay" is the best option. It will help you cope with the feelings of homesickness as you are in the security of a family environment and they will involve you in social activities and family outings.

Our host families are chosen with care and there are regular site inspections of facilities. Placements are also made with consideration given to special dietary, health or religious requirements.

The procedure to book a "Homestay" is:-
• Complete the "Homestay Application Form" and return it to the International Office no later than 4 weeks prior to course commencement.
• Ensure your form identifies any special requirements
• Forward payment for the following:-
- Accommodation Booking Fee $160.00
- 4 weeks rent in advance ($205.00 pw) $820.00
- TOTAL $980.00

Your rent includes all meals, electricity, private bedroom and access to facilities of the house.

The minimum period of stay is 4 weeks. After this period - should you decide to leave - you need to give your “homestay family” two weeks’ notice. It is suggested you provide a letter indicating your decision to leave and the exact date you will leave the family.

In our experience, most students thoroughly enjoy their homestay experience and many decide to stay for the full duration of their studies. However, if you are unhappy or experience any difficulties:-

• Your first line of communication should be with your host family. Ask questions if you are confused - don’t be shy or afraid. They will help you adapt to changes in culture/ lifestyle.

• If you are homesick, try not to blame your host family. It is natural to experience some level of culture shock and homesickness. Give your host family a real chance.

• If you really cannot discuss the problem at home, see your International Office Advisor who will talk the problem through with you and work out a solution with the family.


Hostel (off campus)
This is basic “budget” style accommodation, however rooms are clean and comfortable and staff are friendly and welcoming. Rates range from $80 - $196.00 depending on the type of room you require. No meals are included however there is a Dining Room at the Hostel. The Hostel is located in the city and close to cafes, shops and ASTHM.

Bathroom facilities are communal: shared with alternate male and female floors. Guest services include 24 hour reception, TV lounge, phone room, laundry facilities and airport shuttle service.

The procedure to book a hostel accommodation is:-

• Complete the “Hostel Application Form” and
return it to the International Office no later than 2 weeks
prior to course commencement.
• Ensure your form identifies the type of room required
• Forward payment for the following:-
- Accommodation Booking Fee $160.00
- 1 week’s rent in advance as per room type

Accommodation Refund Policy
1 bedroom
from $80 per week
2 bedroom
from $100 per week
3 bedroom
from $120-200 per week
1 bedroom
from $85.00 per week
2 bedroom
from $95.00 per week

A security bond, generally equal to four weeks’ rent, is payable in advance and refundable when the tenancy ceases provided that there is no damage to the property.

It is extremely important to read the “Tenancy Agreement” carefully before signing. Your International Office Adviser will be more than happy to assist you.

Living expenses

The Cost of Living
A student living in Perth should budget approximately $300 per week for living expenses including accommodation, meals, transport, laundry, telephone and incidentals.

Electricity and Gas
If you are renting an apartment a connection fee (approximately $29.80 is payable as soon as you move in. Every two months, a bill will be sent by either Western Power (electricity) and every three months by Alinta Gas. You will only receive a gas bill if your apartment has appliances operated by gas. If you do not pay your bill by the due date the electricity and gas may be disconnected by the suppliers.


To connect a telephone to a house or apartment, first check if there is already a line available at that address. If a connection is available, you only pay a re-connection fee of $50.00. If there is not line installed, there will be a New Line Connection Fee of $220.00. However it is very unusual to rent an apartment or house in an Australian city without an existing telephone line.

If you would like you phone to have an international access (IDD) a $500 bond is required or presentation of a Visacard. The bond is held by Telstra/Optus and refunded to you after 12 months of satisfactory payment of your accounts.
A passport and one other form of ID needs to be presented when completing an application. If you do not pay your bill by the due date the telephone service will be disconnected by Telstra/Optus.

Your Responsibilities as a Tenant
In Australia, all persons must meet their financial commitments and it is a offence to avoid payment of your debts. Changing your address does not release you from any financial debt incurred at your previous address. If you find you are experiencing difficulties in keeping to a budget please see your International Student Adviser who will offer assistance.

Getting around Perth

If you have a Driver’s Licence from your own country you may use it to drive in Australia for three months only, after which you will be required to apply for a Western Australian licence. If you have an international driving permit you can use it with your licence from home until one or the other expires.

Driving is on the left side of the road in Australia and wearing of seat belts is compulsory. Strict drink-driving laws apply as do heavy fines for speeding.

If you are considering purchasing a car please see your International Student Adviser who will advise and assist you to ensure you fully understand all costs involved.

Public Transport
Perth has a very efficient transport system that includes trains, buses and ferries. At Orientation you will be issued with a form which will enable you to apply for a Transperth Smartrider Card which will entitle you to a discount when travelling on public transport in Perth.


Health matters

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
The Australian Government requires all international students and their dependants have medical insurance cover for the duration of their studies in Australia.

On arrival, you will be required to complete an OSHC form and the School will arrange your cover with Medibank Private for your first year of study. It is the students responsibilty to ensure their OSHC is current at all times. A Overseas Student Health Cover Brochure detailing fees and the medical services available is contained in your “Welcome Pack”.

It is important that you do not let your OSHC lapse or you will be breaching visa regulations.

Looking After Yourself
When you live away from home, you may experience problems such as:-
• financial concerns
• where to live and with whom
• homesickness
• loneliness
• pressure to achieve good results with your studies

Some suggestions to help you avoid or reduce stress are:-
• exercise regularly
• maintain a balance of study and free time
• maintain a healthy diet
• avoid excessive alcohol consumption
• ensure you get at least 8 hours sleep each night

The Staff and Students of the Australian School of Tourism and Hotel Management look forward to welcoming you to Perth.

We wish you every success in your studies and in your future career in the world of hospitality.


Assistance & Essential Services

Ambulance, Fire and Police   000

Central City Medical Centre
400 Wellington Street
Concourse Level
Open every day 8am – 7pm

Perth Medical Centre
713 Hay Street
Ph: 9481-4342
(Students can see a doctor without an appt if they wait an hour)

Royal Perth Hospital
Wellington Street
Ph: 9224-2244

Perth Dental Emergencies
Upper Walkway Level
Forrest Chase
419 Wellington Street
Ph: 9221-2777
Open 7 days 8am-8pm

Help & Support Services
Alcohol & Drug Information Services 9442-5000
(Confidential counseling and information)

Lifeline 13 11 14
(Suicide Counselling)

Men’s Domestic Violence Helpline 9223-1199

Sexual Assault Resource Centre
Crisis Line 9340-1828
Or FREECALL 1800-199-888


Legal Aid

Legal Advice
Citizens Advice Bureau
22 Barrack Street
Ph: 9221-5711

Law Society of WA
Ph: 9322-7877

Legal Aid Commission of WA
55 St. Georges Tce Perth
Info line 1300-650-579

Multicultural Services Centre WA
20 View Street
North Perth
Ph: 9328-2699
Mon-Fri 9am – 5pm (by apt)

Please do not hesitate to contact us, if you have any questions to the above.


Check our FAQs for more information or give us a call on 9322 3202
how to use this site, glossary of terms and other useful tips [more]
Did you know?
We are now offering the new Masters in Hotel & Resort Management [more]
I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand.

Chinese Proverb
Whenever you change your address, you must notify us in writing. Please submit your new address at reception.
Click here to view and download all sort of useful documents.
Train with highly qualified lecturers who are specialists in the hospitality and tourism industry

Open Day
Saturday 28th June 2008

New Intake
Next courses commences
21st July 2008

Download the Accommodation Application here

ASTHM Accommodation Application
Education's purpose is
to replace an empty
mind with an open one.

Malcom S. Forbes
enrol today - call Lise on +61 8 9322 3202
Click here to view and download all sort of useful documents.
Check our FAQs for more information or give us a call on 9322 3202

Download our Cookery brochure here

Train with highly qualified lecturers who are specialists in the hospitality and tourism industry
Whenever you change your address, you must notify us in writing. Please submit your new address at reception.